The waters of Fitero have been used for therapeutic purposes since the time of the Romans in the 2nd century B.C.
It is probable that the original baths were constructed by the Romans. Today we can find vestiges of the therapeutic use of this water during the reign of Caesar Augustus.
In 1157, the springs were donated to the Monastery of Fitero by King Sancho III of Castille.
In 1507, the Baths were destroyed and plundered. Following rapid reconstruction, they were then run by a married couple, Mr. Pedro Navarro and Mrs Ana de San Juan.
On the 24th June 1600, at the Virrey Palafox or Old Baths spa, Juan de Palafox y Mendoza was born. He went on to become the Viceroy and Captain of New Spain, Archbishop of Mexico and Bishop of Burgo de Osma.
During the war of Independence, the monks were evicted and the baths were used to care for the wounded French soldiers. The monks returned in 1814.
In 1835, with the Confiscation of property by Mendizábal, the monks left the Monastery for good and it then passed into the ownership of Mr Juan José Aréjula, a resident of Tudela.
In 1846, the existence of another thermal spring was discovered, around which the New Baths were erected, the present-day Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer Spa, which was named in honour of the poet from Seville, who regularly went to the spa to take the waters.
During his stay at the Fitero Spa, he composed works such as “El Miserere” and “La Cueva de la Mora” (the cave of the Moorish woman).
In 1909, the two properties merged to create a single company, Baños de Fitero S.A., which was responsible for the management of both spas.
Thanks to the medicinal properties of our spring waters, in 2009 we celebrated the centenary of Baños de Fitero S.A. One hundred years of service dedicated to attending to the health and well-being of our guests.